Monomania?

How can a (relatively) rational woman conceive a desire for something based on a description and the associations created by her mind...finally see it and realize it is not the object of lust that she imagined...yet still experience a yearning for it? It's simply not the act of a sane person.

And yet, embarrassing as it is to admit it, I am currently in the throes of this monomania. The item? A piece of the latest Louis Vuitton/Takashi Murakami collaboration...Monogramouflage...which, in my mind, was going to be tough (yet feminine)...Sergent Benjamin meets haute couture...amusing and earthy and luxe...plus, a chance to add to my collection of Murakami ephemera.

Then I stopped by my local Louis Vuitton store and was...severely disappointed. Though I only saw a bag...and the object of my affection was an over-sized scarf...the colors were washed-out...sad. I left disillusioned.

And yet...and yet...a part of me still wants that (hideously expensive) scarf. What is going on here? The madness has to stop.

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    10:00 PM
    Maybe you're in love with the idea, and not the execution. Or the potential.
  • Anonymous said...
    4:26 AM
    It's not working for me... but if you want the scarf.... I'd say go with the instinct...
  • Hebden said...
    10:35 AM
    enc - got it in one...I'm in love with an idea...a terribly, terribly expensive idea...
  • Unknown said...
    7:29 AM
    In psychiatry, monomania (from Greek monos, one, and mania, mania) is a single pathological preoccupation in an otherwise sound mind.[1] Emotional monomania is that in which the patient is obsessed with only one emotion or several related to it; intellectual monomania is that which is related to only one kind of delirious idea or ideas.
    colon cleanse

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...