"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking." - Henry Ford

You only really appreciate how well made something is when it takes several days...comprised in equal quantities of patience, swearing, and a high degree of hand to eye coordination...to take it apart.

When Mr. Heb grew tired of a rather snazzy, and subtly patriotic, shirt from the Gap I knew that I wanted to do something with the fabric. "This will be easy" said my (obviously delusional) inner voice...lulling me into a false sense of security..."you can unpick those seams in seconds". All I can say, now that the dust has cleared and I am nearly cross-eyed from staring at yards of white stitching is "HA!"...possibly even an "Oh yeah? Says you!"...and definitely a "You stinking little liar!"

Photobucket


For the shirt didn't just have single seams...or double seams...oh, no sir...those suckers were three deep. Sewn and re-sewn...so that the gentleman about town could rest safe in the knowledge that nothing short of an explosion would cause the disintegration of his shirting.

Not being one to admit defeat...at least not when my foe is a cotton shirt...I persevered...and ended up with a decent amount of use able fabric. The first project was an (embarrassingly easy) cushion cover...after the battle of destruction I needed simplicity when it came to construction...but I still have a fair amount left for some side projects. One thing is certain though...I will never...on any account...underestimate the quality of Gap's clothing again...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...