Confessions of a shoe miser

This may seem hard to believe (especially to anyone who has gone handbag shopping with me) but for some items I am a downright cheapskate. One of these is shoes. I know, I know…I’ve been told countless times…”good shoes make an outfit”… The problem that I have with spending a lot of money on them is that every step I take, especially outside, is destroying the shoe. It’s definitely a psychological issue because I realize that clothes shrink, zippers stick, and fabric fades but, somehow, that doesn’t bother me. Yet one scuff on an expensive shoe and I’m cursing the Gods.

I’ve managed to overcome my phobia a few times and do own some “good” shoes from Marc Jacobs and Chloe but I tend to carry them to work in my bag and just wear them indoors. It’s depressing; they’re like prisoners in solitary confinement who only get out into the exercise yard once a week.

Luckily it is possible to get some cute, wearable shoes without breaking the bank. If I’m in London, I go to Office, TopShop, or Jones the Bootmaker. Luckily both Office and Jones ship to the US, so if you’re willing to risk the inconvenience of having to return something it is possible to get some great buys. Some options closer to home are Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie.

Hopefully one day I’ll be able to overcome my shoe concerns but, in the meantime, I will continue to buy my bargain shoes...walk softly, and carry a big bag.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...