"Rejecting things because they are old-fashioned would rule out the sun and the moon -- and a mother's love." - unknown

In general, when I let the moths out of my wallet and hand over the requisite amount for a magazine, it tends to be because of the editorials...articles tend to all too frequently fall under the categories of a) actress X opening up...as she probably did on numerous previous occasions...in an attempt to convince the general public to hand over an additional chunk of change to see her latest movie...or b) helpful hints that are not altogether helpful or require a level of dexterity with make-up or hairbrush that would tend to suggest that you don't need the advice in the first place.

I've found it much more entertaining...and useful too...to collect vintage tomes on style. For, while the fashions themselves may have changed, the advice is generally rather sound. Take, if you will, The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Good Taste which was published in 1958.

With chapters on Fashion...Beauty...Manners...and Diversions (namely Art, Men, Jobs, and Games)...all the basics are covered...and while the paragraphs dealing with nylons, cotton gloves, and corsets should probably be consulted for purely entertainment purposes it's hard to ignore the wisdom behind the words "...it is quite possible to to be unbecomingly dressed even by a master. Know Thy Looks is almost important as 'Know Thyself'. And, too, Know Thy Life. A glamorous evening dress is no use to stay-at-homes or a superb tweed to those who blossom only after dark."Photobucket

Recently...with summer in full-swing and a few plane trips in my near future...I found myself re-reading the travel section (I've scanned the entire chapter and have linked to larger, readable, images for those of you who are either bored at work or share my enthusiasm for vintage books)...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


...and I kept coming back to the line "Many of the heavier all-wool jersey weaves make tailored suits and top-coats which do not crease, yet are as easy to lounge or sleep in as a shawl." Riveting stuff (as I'm sure you'll agree) and...while I may not be in the market for a tailored suit...I could recognize that I was lacking something in the easy-to-lounge-or-sleep-in-yet-not-completely-hideous-and-able-at-a-pinch-to-be-worn-to-work department. A deficit that I'm hoping will be rectified courtesy of Rogan's draped sweatshirt wrap cardigan...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • santhana said...
    10:57 AM
    that sweatshirt/blanket/scarf/cardigan is perfect for chilly airplanes.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...