"We assert that the subject is crucial and only that subject matter is valid which is tragic and timeless." - Mark Rothko

A year or so ago I was lucky enough to visit the Turner/Mark Rothko exhibition at The Tate Britain in London...The Telegraph thought the same exhibit "specious" and "disingenuous" but, what can I say...I enjoyed it.

Photobucket

'Petworth Morning Light' - Turner

Rothko's paintings...originally created for Seagram and Sons Company's restaurant...were designed to be, in the words of the artist, "something that will ruin the appetite of every son-of-a-bitch who ever eats in that room." He went on to add, "If the restaurant would refuse to put up my murals, that would be the ultimate compliment. But they won’t. People can stand anything these days."

Photobucket

'Black on Maroon' - Mark Rothko


I, for one, could stand hours of wordless contemplation of Rothko's works...as a slightly more portable...and, let's face it, affordable...option...I'm considering one of these Rothko scarves...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...