"By means of steam one can go from California to Japan in eighteen days." - Townsend Harris

Photobucket

For the longest time I was a frightened flyer...a manic gripper of armrests (I still blush at the memory of a particularly stressful take-off when I failed to notice that the stranger next to me had laid claim to the armrest...until, that is, we were safely in the air and I realized that my fingernails had gouged divots out of the back of his hand)...a nervous wreck for several days before and after any air travel.

Then I got a job where I found myself in the air several times a month...and one day...as I was watching the cloud formations...the mountains, the deserts, and the farm land far below...the anxiety dissipated. Admittedly it wasn't just a zen-like love of nature...a selection of movies on my iTouch helped as well...but, for a chocolate-box-feel-good-moment, I've found that few things beat the ever-so-fleeting-yet-momentarily-perfect combination of cloud, land, sky, and sun.

Of course, palm trees and over-sized fireplaces at your destination also help to instill a certain sense of peace...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    10:43 AM
    That poor guy next to you on the plane! I hate to say it, because I don't like to think of you stressed out during flying, but if you hadn't felt stressed out, I'd never have gotten to read your brilliant description of that feeling. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...