We come back laden from our quest...

"We search the world for truth;
We cull the good, the pure, the beautiful,
From all old flower fields of the soul;
And weary seekers of the best,
We come back laden from our quest,
To find that all the sages said,
Is in the Book our mothers read" - John Greenleaf Whittier


I like to think...when I'm feeling particularly upbeat...that through this mass of incoherent ramblings I am, on occasion, adding another piece to the puzzle of my personal style. And that despite all the bright, shiny, limited edition things that try to grab my attention (and money) this blog enables me to get a clearer idea of what I actually want (on a long-term basis) as opposed to want (in the manner of a child reaching for a shiny balloon).

Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. Often I write about things and find that, after I've written out my desires, they're diminished. Other times the written word makes the longing stronger...generally a sign that something is for keeps. So it was with the canvas and leather work bag...one of those deep-seated desires because it made so much long-term sense. Yes, I could have bought a nylon backpack and lugged everything around...or I could have used my "winter" work bag (so called because, no matter how lovely, just looking at flannel makes me feel hot once the warmer weather arrives)...but if you have to tote your life, and several pounds of electronic gadgets, around with you on a daily basis shouldn't it be a pleasurable experience (from a practical, tactile, and visual perspective)?

As you may have guessed by this point...I found my bag (now sold out in the brown leather online). Obscenely large...thick hemp and linen instead of canvas...with rich, yet durable, leather on the base and detailing. Able to be thrown over my shoulder...or carried by hand. A handbag and, in a pinch, a weekend bag as well. And something that I can see myself using for years to come...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    7:18 AM
    Love the shape. It's a style classic.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...