No pain...no gain

Perversity (or stupidity) meant that I was determined to cross some things off my to do list for London. As the Gilbert & George exhibition at the Tate Modern was the main reason for our visit we had to go...and while their art may not be the best for someone who starts out feeling dizzy and disoriented the exhibit was wonderful, especially their earlier work.

Then I had to narrow down my shopping to the stores that I knew I would regret missing...mainly old favorites with one new addition, COS. And I'm happy to say that COS lived up to my expectations...well designed, low price basics...the dress with the knot detail hangs beautifully and is a great summer basic...ditto the thin, grey sweater...the devil, as they say, is in the details.

Liberty yielded a distressed metal clown brooch from McQ...I've always wanted to run away and join the circus and with this brooch I can pretend that I did. Brooch-fest meant that the clown was joined by a wooden deer from Tatty Devine and a "Bad Person" badge from the Tate.

A walk past a street market added a nylon plaid bag to my haul...I plan on trying to re-create this season's LV bag with some black duck tape...$4 faux LV should be gloriously tacky!

The final item that was crossed off my list was the striped t-shirt from Dover Street Market that I posted about a few weeks ago.

All in all, I'm amazed I did so well. Looking at my montage though one thing does strike me...as usual, a part of me wants to be classic and simple and chic...but whenever I go that route a little voice says "isn't this a little bland?"...and I end up adding something (a necklace, a bag, a scarf...a brooch) to add a little whimsy. Sometimes I wish that I had the single-mindedness that some people have when it comes to "their look" but, to be honest, that would remove the fun from getting dressed...so, for now, I'll remain a dizzy and disorientated dichotomy.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    1:03 PM
    Hey Kate! I love reading your blog from this morning and love the dress and the sweater!! I love your style! You are my shopping goddess. I will try and visit COS during my trip to London in July. Talk to you soon!!
  • Anonymous said...
    1:04 PM
    Hey Kate! I love reading your blog from this morning and love the dress and the sweater!! I love your style! You are my shopping goddess. I will try and visit COS during my trip to London in July. Talk to you soon!!

    Meha
  • Writer said...
    11:58 AM
    Glad you enjoyed the Gilbert and George... it's a shame the gallery is looking slightly dishevelled at the moment though. Happy shopping...

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...