Think outside the box...

I don't know if it's more fascinating that Boxing Day...aka St. Stephen's Day...was celebrated in Wales (up until the 19th century) by the bleeding of livestock and "holming" (beating or slashing with holly branches) of late risers and female servants...or that in Ireland it's called the Day of the Wren...I'm leaning towards the former (though as, for me, B.D. is marked by slothfulness and chocolate consumption I should be glad that holming no longer takes place or I'd still be picking holly pieces out of myself at Easter).

The best part of all this Wikipedia-induced knowledge is that, as an expat, I finally have something intelligent to say when someone asks me "what exactly is Boxing Day?"


Turtleneck - Club Monaco, dress - Hengst, necklace - made by me, boots - Russell & Bromley

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • site said...
    7:14 AM
    It's all erroneous the thing you are saying.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...