“A magazine is simply a device to induce people to read advertising.” - James Collins

As I downloaded yet another scanned page from an editorial in a search for some autumnal inspiration...this time Carla Bruni looking very tousled in a trench from the September issue of Vanity Fair...I realized that I hardly ever actually buy fashion magazines anymore. Not that it's a conscious decision, you understand...I don't have a specific agenda to save money or trees (though the cost of some foreign magazines is becoming disturbing)...it's more that as I stand in Barnes and Noble, flipping through the pages of that month's offerings, I rarely seem to be able to find a magazine that has enough interesting content to make the purchase worthwhile.

I can't decide if magazines truly are a little lacklustre at the moment or I'm living proof that the aphorism that "there's no such thing as a new idea" is true and I've bought so many 'zines in years gone by that I am now essentially reading regurgitated themes and advice. All I know is that, thanks to forums like The Fashion Spot where kindly souls scan editorials from magazines, there's no real necessity for me to buy...though a part of me misses the excitement of curling up on a Sunday afternoon with a crisp, new magazine...Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    9:27 AM
    I feel that looking at pictures online isn't the same experience as looking at them in print. The quality is never as high. If there's something I love,I want to see it in print.
  • Anonymous said...
    5:36 PM
    I feel the same as Wendy...I just LIKE the actual experience of flicking through the pages and touching them...
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:51 PM
    I'll second both the girls^^.

    I just love a good magazine. I also will avoid reading posts that have the editorials in, because I like to see them in my mags first.
  • Hebden said...
    8:43 AM
    On a purely tactile level, I agree...however lately there's only been one editorial (or only a few images) per magazine that I'm interested in and I won't buy magazines if I only want 5% of the content.
  • niroa said...
    11:20 AM
    Really useful material, lots of thanks for your post.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...