“Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.” - Aristophanes

You know how it is...you go out shopping for one thing and mysteriously come back with something completely different. Yesterday's hunt was for plant pots and yet I managed to arrive back home with some rattan covered glasses. As a (somewhat) mitigating factor they were on sale...and I found them at a garden store.

Anxious to use them...and thereby prove what a good buy they were...they became summer-y Chianti containers...and were used to toast the one really decent summer-ish pasta dish that I make. For anyone looking for an (exceedingly) easy...inexpensive...and very tasty...recipe I'm posting it below (serves two).
Photobucket

1/4 lb good bacon (i.e. more meat than fat)
1 lb ripe tomatoes (any kind will do, yesterday I used Romas from the farmer's market)
Spaghetti
Grated cheese (personally I like a shaved Grana Padano Parmesan)

Optional extras...
A finely chopped clove of garlic
A sliced white onion
Fresh basil (or any other herb you enjoy)

Cut the bacon into little strips (I use scissors) and fry until golden. Around the mid-way point add the garlic and onion (if using). While that's happening boil the water for the pasta and get that cooking. You can also take care of the gloriously messy portion of this dish...get a bowl and squeeze the tomatoes by hand into the bowl so that you get a bowlful of tomato mush (and wet sticky hands). Everything but the hard white center stem of the tomato should go in the bowl.

Wash hands...drain grease from frying pan...pour tomatoes into frying pan...and cook. The tomatoes will break down further as time goes on (5-10 minutes).

Drain pasta...pour into a serving dish...pour bacon/tomato sauce on top...add some thinly sliced basil and cheese on top.

Devour.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • D said...
    8:41 AM
    Thanks for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it. Also, I adore your post titles. Transendentalists to Greek philosophers...do you quote from memory? If so, hats off to you!
  • Hebden said...
    6:40 PM
    Let me know how you like it. I only wish that I could summon quotations from memory...
  • Elizabeth said...
    8:06 PM
    That sounds good to me, and I don't even eat meat!
  • Anonymous said...
    10:04 PM
    I do not read your blog expecting recipes, and yet here before me I see a recipe that looks to become a weekly staple. A BLT in pasta form? WITH basil, which is currently taking over the garden, necessitating semiweekly pesto feasts to keep it in check? Surreal. Deliciously surreal.
  • D said...
    10:49 AM
    I made this for friends this week and everyone loved it. Kudos!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...