“There are always flowers for those who want to see them.” - Henri Matisse

When people...okay, it's mainly Mr. Heb...ask me why I never throw anything out of my closet I generally don't have a snappy comeback. After all, I can't say I'm saving it for future generations (I don't personally plan on proliferating the species) and I can't (with any honesty) claim that every item is an incredible piece of design that should be saved for posterity because, really, there are some things in there that make me embarrassed when I think about the money I spent on them. Even the honest response that they (the good, the bad, and the ugly) are a part of me...friends from the past with whom I share a good many memories...makes me sound slightly deranged.

And so I usually fall back on the old standby "but I may wear it again...someday". Funnily enough, 'someday' doesn't come around too often for most items. It did, however, rear its head yesterday when it came to this embroidered floral men's waistcoat that I dragged out of the deepest darkest recesses of closet-dom. Originally bought from Paul Smith's sale shop when I was a mere teen...not for a boyfriend and not really for myself but because the detail work was incredible and I could claim that the vest was unisex but the matching suit wasn't. The waistcoat then sat in a closet (mainly unworn) and in a variety of storage spaces (definitely unworn) until I finally gave it to Mr. Heb. Only for it to become an item that he never wore.Photobucket

Then yesterday, out of the blue, the urge hit me...and, together with an American Apparel grey v-necked t-shirt and a well-worn Nicole Farhi skirt, the waistcoat finally saw the light of day. Which makes it one small step for me...one giant leap for clothes-at-the-back-of-the-closet-kind.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    10:15 AM
    It's thrilling that you wore that flowered waistcoat. I LOVE IT!

    Now, will it go back into the closet for half a dozen years?
  • WendyB said...
    9:54 PM
    I love it. I find that once you wear something that was previously unloved, you want to wear it numerous times.
  • Hebden said...
    6:46 AM
    I think it will definitely make more appearances...either on me or Mr. Heb.
  • Anonymous said...
    11:00 AM
    I'm not a waistcoat fan but what you described sounds brilliant...

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...