"...such ladylike luxuries"

“Though we eat little flesh and drink no wine, Yet let's be merry; we'll have tea and toast; Custards for supper, and an endless host Of syllabubs and jellies and mince-pies, And other such ladylike luxuries” - Percy Bysshe Shelley

I think I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I've eaten jelly since I was a child...and, truth be told, even then I didn't indulge on a regular basis. Entering adulthood, and moving to the US, didn't cause a change in my habits...especially since, no matter what Bill Cosby says, Jello is depressing...forcing jelly into a two inch plastic cup is the culinary equivalent of caging a wild animal, cruel and unusual punishment.

And so things stood, until I came across Bompas & Parr (aka The Jellymongers) and their quest to take jelly moulds to an artistic zenith last seen during Victorian times. Which means that, if the fancy takes you, you can order one of their bespoke tinned copper moulds in whatever shape you desire...I'm thinking jelly hand grenades or mice might make for an interesting end to a dinner party...or you can bid for one of 12 lots in their Article 25 Auction. Each lot comprises of a one-off photograph of one of the jellies designed for the Architectural Jelly Design Competition (who knew?), signed by the architect, design material and one of the jelly moulds. Though I'm keen on St.Paul's...and the jelly version of Foster + Partners Wobbly Bridge...my heart goes out to Barajas Airport which is large enough to feed you and 249 of your closest friends (maybe 240 if a couple of them are piggy and want more than one jelly aeroplane).

It's not quite 'having you cake and eating it' but it's darned close.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • The Spicers said...
    9:23 PM
    Wouldn't want to eat it, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.
  • Elizabeth said...
    2:37 PM
    Those are beautiful. I'm not a huge Jell-O fan, but I can appreciate it's visual qualities.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...