"Wild thing...you make my heart sing..." - The Troggs

I'm a voracious reader now but it started at a young age...thanks to Winnie the Pooh...Enid Blyton (and her Famous Five and Secret Seven)...and Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are". As such, I can't say that I'm thrilled by the thought of Spike Jonze's upcoming film adaptation...so much of the joy of books is that each person creates their own unique CinemaScope in their head, I'm inclined to feel like these adaptations take a little something away from future reader's enjoyment of the books themselves...also, as "W.T.W.T.A" is comprised of ten sentences, I can't help but think that a massive quantity of artistic license must have been invoked to create a full-length movie.

So...anti-adaptation...but (just to be contrary) all for the Spike Jonze - Opening Ceremony - Pamela Love collaboration inspired by the film. I'm not sure whether the spiked and feathered little number is supposed to be worn around the neck or wrist...either way I'd probably stab myself, and several innocent bystanders whenever I wore it, but I can't help but think it might be worth the risk...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • annemarie said...
    9:26 AM
    I totally agree. There are some works of art that are weirdly perfect and ineffable. I love Spike Jonze but I don't see how this film could not be a complete travesty.
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:59 AM
    Both those pieces seem just like "you."

    I admit to never having read the Sendak book, but even so, the images are recognizable and inescapable to me having lived in the world all these years. I feel your trepidation about all the "holes" that would have to be filled in (visually, etc.) with a story like this being made into a film. I resolved to read the book THEN go see the film. That's always the way.

    (I like what you've done with the place, the blog changes look great! I'm glad to be reading your blog, Heb!)
  • Eli said...
    1:19 PM
    since I am a childrens librarian, we come across this book all the time. Im excited to see it as a movie because of the fact that so many people cherished their Where the wild things are memories/connections

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...