"Well-brought-up English girls" and something on the boil

"Even today, well-brought-up English girls are taught by their mothers to boil all veggies for at least a month and a half, just in case one of the dinner guests turns up without his teeth." - Calvin Trillin

I'm considering this post somewhat of a two-pronged Public Service Announcement. Prong number one means that someone gets their sticky little mitts on a Rick Owens boiled wool/cashmere dress from his 2008 Fall/Winter collection for a very reasonable price. Prong number two means that (as a consequence of prong one) the buyer won't be me...which means, I suppose, that my mantra "I do not need another sweater related product in my closet" is actually working.Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • annemarie said...
    8:50 AM
    Here's my mantra: "designer crap at any price."

    The story behind it: many an expensive mistake on Vagabond and The Urban Collection, not to mention a plethora of "consignment" stores in NYC (you would think that walking into the actual store and seeing the stuff in person would have enabled me to make more discerning choices-- alas...).

    Result: I only buy first-hand crap. More expensive but at least I accumulate less and get things I actually like and want as opposed to being drawn in by the suggestion of a "bargain." Older, wiser, poorer.
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:48 AM
    I'd like to be the sticky prong in this case. That thing is ALL me!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...