Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I read somewhere that in the early 20th century, when the Captain Kirk Travel Theory of boldly going where no man had gone before was still prevalent amongst the British and people routinely pottered off to take a look at some far-flung outpost of the Empire, that the weary traveler truly knew they were "home" when they caught sight of the statue of Eros in Piccadilly Circus. I admit, they probably had an inkling at some earlier stage in the proceeding...when they saw the White Cliffs of Dover...went through Customs...or smelt the odor of fish and chips...but apparently they didn't get that zippedy-doo-dah, glad to be alive, uplifted feeling until they saw Eros.

And I have to say, for me at least, the old maxim still holds true. Just one look at the little guy as he gazes down on the assorted tourists, bums, and pickpockets beneath him...and I get a lump in the throat. A sensation which I'm wondering if I could replicate with this sweatshirt from Urban Outfitters...featuring Eros in all his glory accompanied by some snazzy puffed sleeves. As I have what could kindly be called a puff sleeve fetish (never met a p.s. I didn't like) this is a double whammy in the feel good category.

As I was researching Eros for this piece I discovered that, contrary to popular belief, the statue in Piccadilly Circus actually represents the Angel of Christian Charity and was erected to commemorate Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury. The Earl was an evangelising Christian who crusaded for reforms to save the bodies, and presumably souls, of the poor...hence the Angel of Christian Charity...which doesn't have the same ring to it as Eros so I'm going to stick with popular belief on this one.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...