The long and the short of it...

While I was gazing at the Eros sweatshirt online yesterday I noticed that Urban Outfitters seemed to have an interesting selection of tights so, as I passed by there earlier today, I stopped in. And, what do you know, they do have a great mix of patterns and textures but can I just say, dear Urban Outfitters, 5'8" is not tall. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying it's short...but, as a woman who stands 5'11" in her bare feet, I can safely say that the 3" difference is definitely something I would notice.

Thankfully I was able to "drown my sorrows" as it were by picking up this green keffiyah with feathers down one side...UO meets Balenciaga meets a chicken farm...tacky, but I love the color and the way the feathers fan out from the body and add a structural element to the fabric. An Urban Renewal piece and, according to the tag at least, "customized by a variety of artists and designers across the country. Each one is unique!". There was actually a black feathered keffiyah in the same store so let's say maybe not entirely unique but definitely limited...which means, sadly, that they are not available through UO's website.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • Gervy said...
    4:02 PM
    I am also 5 ft 11"... and goodness is it hard to find clothes that fit. You look tall and skinny, but I am tall with (gasp!) child-bearing hips. Judging by how difficult it is for me to by skirts and trousers which I can (a) get on and (b) look acceptable in, I must be the only tall curvy person on the planet... The "plus" side (no pun intended) is that there are some shops I can completely ignore when I go shopping:
    - anything high-end... even if I had the money, why bother drooling over Marc Jacobs when I could never fit into it?
    - most low-end cheapies - did you know that all fiscally-challenged women are tiny?

    Sorry for sounding so bitter.
  • Anonymous said...
    6:21 PM
    I'm 5'8, and trust me, it *is* tall for a woman, in the sense that it certainly is hard to find clothes that fit. The 'normal' clothes are not intented for women who are 5'8. The sleeves, inseam and torso lenght is way too short (I need an inseam of 35 inches in flats). Too often the 'tall sizes', when they exist, are assumed to be worn only by very tall people, so the companies don't bother to do the smallest sizes (I think the logic is that they feel that there are close to none 6 feet tall size 0 girls, so there's no need for a '0 tall' size). So, if you're a very, very thin long limbed 5'8, you're basically in the sizing limbo...

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...