It's not where you start, it's where you finish...

I mentioned my diabolical master plan a couple of days ago...to take a tally of my existing summer wardrobe...and based on that, to try and identify the holes...and, additionally, the pieces I should stop buying before I'm certified as insane. At the time, it seemed like a good idea, but it turned into one of those things that became more and more daunting as I tried to decide which part of my closet to start with...finally I settled on footwear, thinking that as a "non-shoe girl" it would be easy place to begin...the idiocy of that statement only became apparent when I realized that I do, in fact, appear to be a shoe girl and, despite my initial concerns to the contrary, I have most shoe categories covered. But before I go any further...what was the criteria for taking mug-shots of these particular shoes? Well, I went under the assumption that the summer will be filled with blue skies and sunshine...so no shoes for rain, sleet, or snow...other than that, anything goes.

The outcome? As I mentioned, somewhat disturbing...if you'd asked me I would have said that I didn't have a lot of footwear options...as you can see, I was wrong...three pairs of moccasins in varying shades of brown...white floral flats from Gucci (probably not the most sensible selection as pale fabric is like a dirt magnet)...and more "humorous" shoes (from Marc Jacobs' mouse flats to Topshop's Japanese flag embellished numbers) than should really be gathered together at one time.

I came out of this excercise, however, with the realization that I need to stop buying shoes that are "quirky"...I can safely say that I have quirky covered...practical or minimalist styles, on the other hand, are thin on the ground (if you'll pardon the pun).

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 9 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    11:31 AM
    It looks to me like you have quite a few practical flats in solid colors, no?
  • Anonymous said...
    12:42 PM
    I see a dearth of true sandals--an opportunity maybe? I would wear your black wingtips with everything this summer: shorts, skirts, floral dresses...oh! That's a bit of the Artful Dodger.
  • K.Line said...
    4:55 PM
    Great shoes - in good condition. Maybe you need a few more strappy/sexy things? K
  • MARIA H said...
    6:50 PM
    Lots of flats!

    I love this catalog work, so much, that I would totally catalogue my sick sick obsession with shoes.
    Maybe I will recover that way.
  • Hebden said...
    8:21 PM
    Thanks for your input everyone! It's great to hear what everyone else thinks are the problems areas/areas for expansion.

    wendyb - practical-ish...the red flats (for example) are glittery, Wizard of Oz shoes...

    anon - the wingtips will definitely be getting a lot of wear

    k.line - I always think of strappy/sexy as being associated with heels...which I would do if I could stand up in them

    maria - yes, an awful lot of flats. I recommend giving cataloging a try...you come away with a clearer idea of what you have...and, potentially, a shopping list ;)
  • Elizabeth said...
    10:07 PM
    Wow, you have a brilliant selection of shoes. And you have more flats than I do! That's amazing in itself. I love everything you have, including the brown (Tod's?) sandal. The Mouse shoes are so sweet, and I love the two pairs of geometric whatever-they-ares.
  • Elizabeth said...
    10:09 PM
    After all that gushing over your shoes, I realized I forgot to make any suggestions as to what you might add. I'm going to have to agree with K.Line: maybe a pair of strappy stiletto sandals. Do you wear heels much?
  • Hebden said...
    6:16 AM
    Thanks enc..."never" would be the word used to describe myself and heels...I have major balance issues and, at 5'11" I don't need the height, so I avoid potential injury to myself...or others.
  • S. said...
    3:55 AM
    Love your quirky footwear, and I'm enjoying reading about your dilemmas with summer, maykes me think I'm not the only one!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...