“In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.” - John Steinbeck

I've been trying to do more "closet shopping" recently...not just in an attempt to save money but because I'm finally willing to admit to myself just how much clothing I own and the resulting overwhelming guilt is forcing me to wear some of it...or, at the very least, give it a quick airing while I decide whether it's a keeper (i.e. it may be "useful" someday) or not (i.e. needs to go on etsy or Ebay asap).

I was actually feeling pleased with myself as I was able to add two items (yes, a whole two items, to my etsy store last week...namely some suede shoes and a pair of pale Armani Jeans with "designer rips") but I met my indecisive nemesis when it came to this Moschino messenger bag. Constructed of the nylon that Prada and other Italian designers seemed so fond of during the 80's...and enough golden embellishment to sink a ship...it's placed me on the (rather uncomfortable) horns of a dilemma...and forced me to have a bit of back-and-forth with my inner voice...

Self: "It has zips and pockets and would be useful for travel..."
Inner Voice: "Are you insane? You wouldn't get within 6 feet of an airport metal detector with that little lot."
Self: "Possibly...but it's a nice example of 80's excessiveness..."
Inner Voice: "By that I take it you mean it's tacky and nouveau riche?"
Self: "It's a nice shape..."
Inner Voice: "It looks like a nappy bag!"

At this point the discussion between Self and Inner Voice disintegrates into a petty squabble...hair is pulled...shins are kicked...and vague allusions are made to shopping indiscretions of days gone by.


Basically, I rather like the bag but don't know if I'd use it...add Mr. Heb's opinion to the mix..."It's hideous and, anyway, you've got much nicer bags...use those"...and I'm dithering. My first impulse is to shove it back in the closet and hope that my feelings will be clearer when I next unearth it but that seems cowardly...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    1:04 PM
    I think it's cute -- and, silly girl, you don't take a bag through the metal detector anyway!
  • WendyB said...
    1:05 PM
    I think it's cute -- and, silly girl, you don't take a bag through the metal detector anyway!
  • Hebden said...
    5:24 PM
    You're right...but with the whole shoe-removal-coat-removal-laptop-out-of-its-case thing they've made me paranoid...I'm convinced that too much metal or a sharp piece of jewelry and I'll be whisked away for a strip search.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...