"Because I take care of my body, it doesn't look like the body of a woman of my years." - Gloria Swanson

I suppose it's fitting that the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is the only US venue for the exhibition of Vanity Fair Portraits: Photographs 1913–2008 however I have no plans to be in LA before March 1st (when the exhibition moves on) so I feel slightly miffed. If only because I would dearly like to see Edward Steichen's "A Much Screened Lady — Gloria Swanson" in the...um...flesh (so to speak).

This one photograph encapsulates why I watch so many "old" movies (and am so vague when it comes to current releases)...though she's not classically beautiful her eyes are mesmerizing...she grabs your attention and won't let go.

From now on I feel like I only want to be photographed in black and white...and preferably behind a curtain of lace.
Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    1:57 PM
    I'd like to only be photographed behind a heavier curtain than that.
  • Anonymous said...
    2:09 PM
    That is a truly arresting photo.
  • Elizabeth said...
    5:44 PM
    Me too.
  • 2:02 AM
    I really need to make some time to get inside LACMA one of these days. I've driven by it at least half a dozen times this month, and the big Vanity Fair banner is mocking me.
  • Eli said...
    10:02 PM
    I went last month, and to be honest it was kind of a let down...there were a few great standout photos (like the one you posted which they use for the promo) but a lot of the stuff was so so. The Lee Miller exhibition at the Moma in San Francisco was much much better!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...