A tale of two...online retailers

As P.G. Wodehouse used to point out, it’s imperative that you introduce the characters before you go into the narrative; otherwise your readers are left wading around in a morass of confusion. So, in that spirit, let me introduce online store A...an independent boutique, stocked with an interesting array of designers and well-chosen pieces that are highlighted by the styling; styling so good that almost every item inspires a pang of longing and even lesser articles encourage a second look. Online store B is a behemoth, with a mass of logo-emblazoned designer goods on offer and styling so uninspired that even the most lust-worthy items appear slightly lack luster.

Both stores were selling Acne’s Flaunt print skirt, with a retail price of $399. At that point the similarity ended as store A’s image of the skirt caused me to add it to my mental wish list while the photograph on site B didn’t even raise a flicker of interest. Until, that is, the sales started. Store A, as makes financial sense for this kind of retailer, is holding off on putting the skirt on sale and will, from past experience, only reduce by a marginal amount when the time comes. Store B, on the other hand, started the reductions at 40%. A further discount over the weekend slashed an additional 25% off the reduced price and offered free shipping.Photobucket

Obviously I did what anyone else would do and snapped up the bargain that store B offered. I do, however, feel a sense of guilt. Without store A’s presentation and styling I probably wouldn’t have been tempted to buy the skirt and in the current financial climate I hate to think of smaller boutiques with vision losing revenue to online megalomalls. However, as I am neither a millionaire nor a philanthropist, I need to live with my guilt...well, that and my new skirt.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 6 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    7:13 AM
    I wouldn't feel guilty at all. That is completely store A's "fault," and if they're savvy, they'll read about stories like this and make the appropriate changes.
  • Anonymous said...
    12:57 PM
    Swing by Store A post-holidays and buy something you can afford ... then everybody wins.
  • Anonymous said...
    1:10 PM
    Blame Store A's sale policy.... you made the right choice....
  • MARIA H said...
    10:16 PM
    come on! no names? why?
  • Elizabeth said...
    10:38 PM
    You've got a right to shop and purchase wherever you like, andn to take advantage of sales guilt-free. And it's not your fault that store B has sub-par photography.
  • 9:56 PM
    You made a wise choice--it's a great skirt and I can't wait to see what you do with it. Styling can be analogized to packaging--they can make the package look appealing, but if the contents are really just the same as another place that has a better price but a less fancy package, the value of the content is what matters.

    (I think I know what Store B is--the deals were very appealing to me as well as I was searching for a new potential work bag.)

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...