“The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim.” - Sun Tzu

One of the things that I enjoy most about the blogosphere is the exchange of ideas...the way that you can watch things sweep, like a wave, across the virtual sea...changing and morphing as they go. How one person's words can get you thinking...

When I read The Search For Chic's post about her new suede trousers...well, new for her...beautifully tailored from an existing pair she bought on eBay...it caused me to, once again, try to decide what should be done with a pair of trousers that I inherited from my mother and which are currently hanging in my closet, taking up space but contributing very little. Actually "trousers" is a misnomer...these are gauchos...whose legs consist of so much fabric that they look like a skirt from virtually every angle. This excess of fabric...and their slightly dowdy mid-calf length...means that they're not the most flattering trousers on the planet. They are, however, made of the most butter-y soft suede that I have ever encountered...which almost begs to be re-worked into a pair of (flattering) pants...or a skirt...or potentially both thanks to the sheer volume of fabric available.

What has caused me to veer away from this course of action thus far is that these particular gauchos were designed by Nigel Preston for his label Maxfield Parrish...though his name is not particularly well know he was the designer in his field (sheepskin, suede and leather) for 30 years. To quote his obituary in The Independent (Preston died earlier this year), "where Preston led, Hermès and Gucci followed...it was Preston who first rescued leather from its slick and tough biker-boy, rock'n'roll image, moulding it to the ebb and flow of the body as if it were silk..."

Hence my dilemma...do I take my chances and find a tailor...attempt to work the gauchos into my existing wardrobe...put them on eBay? So many options and me, a dithering mass of indecision...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 6 comments:

  • S. said...
    10:36 AM
    Seriously... those would look so cool made into a cropped loose pair of trousers.... WOW.

    I want a pair now.. or you could give them to me and I promise I will make them into a loose pair.. you decide! ;)
  • Anonymous said...
    11:02 AM
    You know, I'd keep them as they are and figure out a way to style them. Now that they're in the forefront of your mine, I bet inspiration will strike.
  • WendyB said...
    2:53 PM
    It's hard to say judging from that photo, but I'm into keeping them either way, whether it involves tailoring them or just going for the look as-is.
  • Jill said...
    6:31 PM
    I would keep them...eventually you will have a stroke of genius and figure out what to do with them.
  • Elizabeth said...
    6:06 PM
    I can see why you'd feel trapped by the notion of maintaining the integrity of the garment, given it's history.

    I think if I were in your shoes, I'd opt to sell it, because altering it would feel . . . disrespectful. That's just what I think.

    I'm sure you'll make a great decision.
  • Jennifer said...
    1:19 AM
    i would not touch those. i mean i would not alter them.
    add a worn out (but authentic) concert tee and some vicious-looking black heels (sooooo not my style but such a good look), or an apc prairi blouse and black patent flats.
    these are great bottoms exactly as they are.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...