"It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours." - Harry S. Truman

As Wednesday is the day that Net-a-Porter puts its newest wares up for inspection I toddled over to take a peek...and was overwhelmed by some of the prices...$7,245 for a trench...$6,460 for an (admittedly beautiful) Alexander McQueen dress...a slew of (not quite as nice) dresses in the $2-6,000 range. You have to wonder, in the midst of a downturn/recession/call-it-what-you-will who is buying all this stuff?

Now, I know that some people are so "well-cushioned" that they are still relatively well off regardless of what is happening to the economy but...do they ALL shop at NAP? And if so, are they constantly running into other women wearing the same outfit? And how galling must that be? $3,395 spent on a Burberry Prorsum regimental trench coat only to discover, during the first rainy day, that everyone and their mother has the same one...it's enough to make you spit...ever so discreetly...into a gold-plated spitoon.

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    6:15 PM
    An interesting perspective. I think if I'd spent $6k on a trench, I'd want to be the only one wearing it. As it is now, I only worry if someone else has the same bag, and so far, that hasn't happened to me. But then again, I didn't spend $6k on my bag.
  • MARIA H said...
    8:08 PM
    they are not even pretty
  • WendyB said...
    1:53 PM
    That McQueen dress is beautiful. God willing, people should continue to have some money to spend. My business certainly depends on it. Of course I think WendyB jewelry is a much better investment than some ol' trenchcoat ;-)

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...