The unkindest cut of all...or not?

According to conventional wisdom the one thing that you should not attempt...beauty-wise...is to cut your own hair. It's up there on the chart, next to the dark area of the map that say "Beware of ye hippogriffs".

Of course, "conventional wisdom" has tried to tell me many things in the past...and failed...so it's probably no surprise that, for the last six or seven months, I have been forgoing visits to my hairstylist and cutting my locks myself. And, as I've got this far into the experiment without anyone asking "what's wrong with your hair?", I can assume one of two things...Photobucket

1) even going to a hairdresser, my natural inclination is for the unkempt, tousled, 60's-French-girl-if-you-squint look so...no matter how bad the cutting...no one can tell any difference

OR

2) after years of squirming miserably in various chairs while the stylist ignored my ideas on what I was hoping my hair would look like I have finally hit upon a scheme which gives me "artistic control"...the rationale being that it may not be the greatest cut but I know myself well enough to know where I want my fringe to hit, etc.

In reality, the truth is probably somewhere between those two but the sense of liberation from never having to endure the pain of the "salon experience" more than makes up for any styling deficits (to my mind at least).

And so, in case anyone else out there is fed up with forking over $70 only to leave the salon thinking that 'you're not happy with the cut now but, perhaps in a few weeks when it grows out?' here are some tips.

    Buy a pair of professional scissors, this is one of those scenarios where you need the proper tools for the job.

    Go slow. The first couple of times I trimmed my fringe and a few split ends. Once I was satisfied that everything was going okay I moved into full cutting mode.

    Vote early, and often...aka don't feel that you need to cut every hair in one session. I generally trim my hair once a week at this point...no split ends and I get to 'tweak' my hairstyle and modify any elements I was unhappy with from the week before's cut.

    Relax! It is only hair (I swear)...it will grow back...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • Vain and Vapid said...
    7:46 AM
    I love your hair in the picture, it looks great. I have a similar haircut right now although I do get mine cut at a salon I totally understand those pointless visits to stylists who disregard what you want and cut your hair in any way they see fit. I can't tell you have much money I wasted in this way...
  • Anonymous said...
    2:28 PM
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with cutting your own hair. My mom has done it for years and no one would ever be able to tell. The danger, of course, is that you would want something that looks ridiculous (unlikely!) and there would be no one to tell you.

    It certainly is frustrating to pay big bucks for a haircut that may or may not say what you intend to say to the world.
  • Elizabeth said...
    8:42 PM
    Ooooooh, I hate the salon. I think it's fine that you cut your own hair. You look great.

    I haven't had my hair cut in 9 months. I'm going to get it cut in the next week or so, when I get my hair colored. I know I'll hate it, that's why I haven't had it cut in so long.
  • Anonymous said...
    9:37 AM
    i am only driven to cut my hair when i'm emotionally fragile, and the result is always a full shearing. i think, if the circumstances were different and i was calm, cool, and collected, i would still find the snip snip snip action addictive and i wouldn't stop until there was nothing left to chop.
    i love getting my hair cut by the right person (comfortable shampoo sink/chair, no talking, and they understand what i want), and if all goes well, the $$ doesn't hurt too much ($70? i'd go ever month!).

    that said, i love the idea of a unique, individualized cut/style/do. i've been to salons where they subscribe to a cutting method and the result is way too cookie-cutter for me. self-snipping seems like the perfect way to avoid this.
  • Anonymous said...
    2:07 PM
    I have been cutting my own hair for two years now. I could not be happier. I get compliments at least once a month. I also have the sloppy grown out euro- cut with fringe. More power to ya.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...