"...it's a bit scary, actually"

"You know you've made it when you've been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls - it's a bit scary, actually." - Cate Blanchett

I'm just curious but...am I the only one who's had enough of the Barbie 50th anniversary hype? I don't seem to be able to turn on National Public Radio without hearing another "little known facts about Barbie" article...Colette is awash with Barbie-related products (she's encased in a Goyard trunk, encapsulated by a Uslu Airlines nail polish, and enrobed by Jeremy Scott)...she's even been photographed by Karl Lagerfeld (with model Baptiste Giabiconi as Ken).

Photobucket


But does anyone spare a thought for poor old Sindy...Barbie's equally plastic though less well-endowed British cousin? Apparently not.

And so, I offer a small homage to the only doll that dated both Dr. Who (the Tom Baker version with jointed wrists) and Luke Skywalker (larger in stature but less well-formed and with a startlingly shiny plastic chest peeking out from his white Jedi top)...at least the only one to date them in my house, I can't say what sluttier Sindy's did in other locales.

And so, without further ado, may I introduce runaway bride Sindy (in the remains of her wedding dress ensemble, pearls, and toting a plastic gun)...and one-armed, ship-wrecked Sindy (found on a beach, chewed by a dog, her up-do dyed by some purple and green pens). Barbie may have been a tad more glamorous, but Sindy lived life to its fullest...
Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    9:36 AM
    Sindy's a lot more interesting than Barbie!
  • Georgie said said...
    10:29 AM
    I still have a sindy watch from my childhood. I don't think I had a preference on them when I was younger as long as I could cut their hair.
    x

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...