Brand in old English means "destruction by fire"...

As often happens, an article (entitled "How to brand yourself") on The Times' website got me thinking...because, really, as bloggers...isn't that what we're trying to do? Or, I should say, to be successful as bloggers isn't this something we need to do? For, without a "brand"...a unique voice...what is there to make your (or my) blog different (and hopefully readable)?

It's a take on the idea of first impressions or, to quote the article, “We are branded every day of the week,”...“At cocktail parties, or business meetings, or whatever it might be. Personal branding is about starting to manage your personal brand.” Something which, to be entirely honest, I have never been particularly good at. Even trying to describe my job at a cocktail party leaves me mumbling incoherently about "doing stuff"...the thought of attempting to give a snapshot of me (the total package) is terrifying.

And so, I'm sharing the article's six tricks for creating a personal brand...not because I have any answers, this is definitely something that I need to work on...but because I thought these were useful for fellow bloggers. Though, if anyone would like to respond to question one it would be rather interesting...as the poet Burns said, "O would some Power the gift to give us, To see ourselves as others see us!"

Tricks of the trade: how to build your personal brand

Personal brands need to be four things: compelling to their market; authentic; consistent; and known.

1. Find out how you are actually perceived or what your reputation is. Ask a variety of people.

2. Spend time exploring what it is about you that is compelling to your target market.

3. Ask yourself if what you are offering is authentic. If not, it will breed only mistrust.

4. Make sure that your message or what you deliver is consistent. If it is erratic, it will undermine your efforts.

5. Create a personal brand statement outlining who you are, what you do, how you do it and why it is compelling . . . and use abridged versions of it consistently wherever appropriate.

6. Explore how you can make your personal brand known to your market or audience and then act on it.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    2:54 PM
    I think I would be in hysterical laughter if people started coming up to me and asking how I perceived them. There's just something funny about that.
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:43 PM
    I'm not sure I want to know everything about how people perceive me; it might be too much like being able to hear people's thoughts, or seeing into the future. Bleah. But then again, I could attract more people if I tried to give them more of what they wanted. But then again, isn't what I'm doing what the eight loyal readers I have what they want?

    Oh, the maze of circular "logic."

    One thing I have learned, one gets more readers if one goes out and reads others' work.
  • Elizabeth said...
    9:44 PM
    By the way, I really like your dark brown outfit; the one with the blue (?) scarf, the brown short skirt, and the brown jumper.
  • Hebden said...
    6:30 AM
    I guess I'm just a neurotic glutton for punishment...I figure I may as well know the worst...

    enc - thanks for the compliment!
  • site said...
    3:54 PM
    The dude is absolutely right, and there is no question.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...