A Winter's Tale...

As I walked home last night I passed two men on the street...and heard the words, "yeah, she's cute, but she's pregnant". Of course, I wanted to know who the comment was directed at and glanced around me...only to find that I was the only woman in the vicinity. Due to a process of elimination (damn you Sherlock Holmes!) I reasoned that I was the obvious candidate.

I walked home...seething with a mixture of wounded pride and righteous indignation...looked in my mirror...and realized that my boiled wool scarf, tucked down the front of my peacoat, was indeed creating a "Mary looking for a place to stay" effect. Oh, bugger!

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 5 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    11:13 AM
    But maybe they were talking about someone who they were both acquainted with who wasn't even there! Isn't that a possibility? I admit, if they were pointing and staring at you, that is not a likely possibility. But otherwise it is!
  • Hebden said...
    11:21 AM
    My self esteem would love to agree with you...unfortunately it was one of those situations where it was pretty definite who they were talking about...
  • Anonymous said...
    3:34 PM
    Oh, I've been there, and it's quite uncomfortable. I bought a gorgeous empire waist fluffy top and wore it to a dinner, only to have an elderly friend of the family congratulate me on my new pregnancy. Hebden, take comfort, at least the two men didn't feel it was necessary to pat your stomach to be 100% certain you weren't packing a bun or two.

    P.S. I still wear the top. I like it, and that's enough for me.
  • Jennifer said...
    9:05 AM
    no no no, i will never submit to the fear of looking fat/pregnant. i've been directly congratulated (for being pregnant) when i very much was not. talk about awkward. i don't care. i LOVE tent dresses, i LOVE loose shapes, i LOVE what i LOVE. self-esteem intact, uterus empty.
    i won't dress to avoid someone else's misinterpretation.
    oh, and i LOVE that mj top you posted above this one - sort of wish it weren't mj though, because that means it will be everywhere. unless... unless silly ppl fear looking pregnant and i alone can wear and enjoy it. ;)
  • 4:35 AM
    Really worthwhile data, much thanks for the post.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...